Friends at work?
A counselor or pastor?
The Bible or other religious literature?
As I see it, the problem with a lot of advice is threefold:
- It’s not actually helpful…
- It’s given by someone who has a damaging, personal life issue that clouds their bias and…
- It’s coming from a person who has an alternative agenda (i.e. they are driving you to a decision that benefits them)
This makes it extremely hard to find advice that you can run with. Put the wrong advice in your head and hands and the results could be disastrous.
When it comes to money, perhaps no businessmen and investor has achieved more in his lifetime than Warren Buffett. From humble beginnings of selling chewing gum, Coca-Cola and magazines door-to-door as a kid, he has become one of the wealthiest men in the world. People pay money to sit at his feet for a few minutes so they can pick his brain about life and money.
So when I ran across some Warren Buffett quotes on life and money awhile ago, I couldn’t help but pause and reflect on how I felt about a few of them.
Famous Warren Buffett Quotes On Life and Money
Do any of these Warren Buffett quotes ring true to you? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
1. On Earning: “Never depend on a single income. Make investments to create a second source.”
2. On Spending: “If you buy things you do not need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
3. On Savings: “Do not save what is left after spending, spend what is left after saving.”
4. On Taking Risks: “Never test the depths of the river with both of your feet.”
5. On Expectations: “Honesty is a very expensive gift. Do not expect it from cheap people.”
6. On Reputations: “It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you’ll do things differently.”
7. On Habits: “Chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken.”
8. On Investing: “Successful investing takes time, discipline and patience. No matter how great the talent or effort, some things just take time: You can’t produce a baby in one month by getting nine women pregnant.”
9. On Success and Choices: “The difference between successful people and really successful people is that really successful people say no to almost everything.”
10. On What Really Matters: “I tell college students, when you get to be my age you will be successful if the people who you hope to have loved you, do love you.”
Questions: Which of these 10 Warren Buffett quotes on life and money stand out to you? On taking risks: Are you and all or nothing person…Do you test the waters a little bit at a time? What do you think Mr. Buffett is trying to say about honesty and cheap people? Do you tend to save or spend first? What habits do you have that seem to heavy to be broken?